Monday, August 27, 2012

1.View points


Brittany Howard
8/19/2012
Eng 102
Viewpoints
            Personally I believe our viewpoints are altered, even in the slightest notion every day; however some views remain strong for various reasons such as upbringing, general daily attitude, religion etc.  Personally my views have drastically changed since attending college, and I agree with the article as it states on page 172, “We may think our preferences are our “own” but many of them replicate those of our fellow in a particular social circle and economic class location”.  For me growing up in an upper-middle class, strict, religious, conservative household, without much freedom to explore my own viewpoints, I garnered my parents every word as fact.  Since branching out on my own, being in college and now as of June 1st being married, marking 3 years since I left the nest, I find my views more liberal and secular than I could have ever imagined.  This certainly makes me a strong candidate now to have my views changed with anything that provides sufficient evidence I should do so.
            Before I began college and somewhat before reading the article it was easy for me to stereotype “terrorists” as Middle Eastern men.  The article makes you broaden your thinking as to what terrorism really is.  I was struck by a line on page 163. “Terrorism is a general category rather than a specific thing”.   After September 11th, it was easy to believe our government and other sources practically telling us terrorism only came from specific countries.  And this was easy to digest at the time because at my age the only real act of terrorism I could ever remember would be September 11th.  I agree that terrorism is not always justified by anger; some people are just plain crazy.  Quoting one of my favorite movies, In the Dark Knight when someone asks Alfred what makes the joker tick he just says “Some people just want to watch the world burn”.  It doesn’t have to be political or religious, or any other rational anger it can just be someone who has snapped.  This article helped exercise the parts of my brain on terrorism and connect some dots that I had already started on.

No comments:

Post a Comment